In 1716, the French built a fort on the bluffs of Natchez and named it Rosalie in honor of the Countess of Pontchartrain. In 1820 Peter Little, who came to Natchez from Pennsylvania in 1798 at the age of 17, purchased a portion of that land on which to build his home. He decided to keep the name Rosalie in honor of the fort and its settlers. Rosalie was completed in 1823, and Peter and Eliza moved into their new home. Even though they never had children of their own, the sound of children filled their home for many years. Rosalie maintains most of the original furnishings from when the home was built. Rosalie was gifted to the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and is used as their National Headquarters. The gardens and home are open for daily tours.